Kerry Pommer endorsed 2014-11-07 17:35:10 +1000
What will build a better Queensland?
Your involvement and survey feedback have also been building ideas about what is important for a better Queensland.
The Working for Queenslanders Purpose Statement is the result: a foundation to unite us and principles to guide our actions.
- We believe that Queenslanders should have the opportunity to have the best lives possible.
- We believe it is the role of government in society to develop strategies in partnership with communities to provide the framework for a safe and civilised society for all Queenslanders in which all Queenslanders can positively engage no matter where in the state they live, what they earn and no matter what their background.
- We believe that all Queenslanders should have access to quality health care no matter where in the state they live and no matter what their income and that the government must remain directly responsible for the delivery of health services. We believe our government should strive to have the world’s best health care for all Queenslanders.
- We recognise the right of Queenslanders to access private health services but this must remain a choice not a necessity.
- We believe that all Queenslanders should have a right to the best education possible no matter where they live or what they earn. The delivery of education must be on the basis of investing in Queenslanders not on the basis of short term economic benefits to the local economy.
- We believe that the government’s role in providing all Queenslanders access to quality free education applies equally to children and adults and that all Queenslanders have a right to quality pre-school, school and higher education.
- We recognise the right of Queenslanders to access private educational services but this must remain a choice not a necessity.
- It is the role of government to protect the Queensland environment for future generations of Queenslanders.
- It is the role of government to manage Queensland’s natural resources for all current and future Queenslanders.
- It is the role of government to provide a safe community for Queenslanders through an appropriately resourced criminal justice system which includes a publicly owned and operated system of correctional facilities which ensure a continued focus on security and rehabilitation.
- It is the role of government to protect all Queenslanders but in particular those Queenslanders who are most vulnerable such as our children. It must be a priority that all Queensland children are appropriately covered by a publicly funded and operated child protection system.
- All Queenslanders should have equal access to justice through our courts system no matter where they live or what they earn.
- It is the role of government to provide appropriate regulation of Queenslanders’ working lives and protect Queenslanders at work. It is also the role of government to protect the rights of workers to collectively organise to improve their wages and conditions.
- We recognise Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples as the First Australians with ongoing connection with their land and their culture and their contribution to Queensland. We also recognise the need for community led, targeted services to address education, health, and justice challenges still faced within many Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities.
- We recognise that people from all parts of the state, including Queenslanders living in regional and remote Queensland, contribute and that it is our shared responsibility to deliver services to ensure no one is disadvantaged by their location.
- We recognise the contributions and experiences of many groups to our society including Queenslanders from diverse communities and with diverse needs and that services need to address these needs to ensure a society where all Queenslanders have the opportunity for the best lives possible.
- We believe that all Queenslanders should have access within the confines of a safe and civilised society to high quality health services, education and training, ongoing access through the generations to the environment and natural resources, safety and justice and fairness in working lives.
- We believe this should be provided in culturally safe ways and environments, free from discrimination, and in all locations.
- We believe that the government’s role is to develop strategies in partnership with our communities to develop positive engagement in a safe and civilised society.